Share Us On:


16
Apr

What were they thinking?

Burned multi-receptacle extension cord

Almost a tragedy

We had a call from a lady last week who said she had a fuse that kept blowing and she had no idea what was wrong.  When our technician arrived he found a makeshift extension cord powering a small hot tub from a GFCI (ground fault circuit interupter) outlet. It had melted to the point of self-destruction.  The fuse was doing it’s job keeping the folks safe.

Someone had given these folks an indoor extension cord that had an extra piece of some other extension cord spliced onto it (both cords too small to run anything other than a desk lamp) to power up a piece of equipment that is dangerous enough to be required to be connected to a ground fault circuit.  The person told them it would do until they could get around to getting a proper extension cord. 

You can see by the picture what would have happened if the fuse had NOT kept blowing.  Thank goodness the fuse was the correct size saving these folks from a terrible situation.

Needless to say, our tech removed the cord from service.  A proper installation has been scheduled.

terry@theshockdoctors.ca

0
Comments




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





Licenses & Insurance

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Electricians in Orillia ON

We Accept

We Make Wiring Rewarding