Our tech Chadwick (and Jonathan-our best co-op student ever) are on an aluminum repair in Erin Mills this week, rejuvenating a home that was originally wired with aluminum wiring. Chadwick just sent me two pictures and the message line in the email reads “Friggin’ Aluminum”.
Chadwick was very unhappy to find two new examples of how serious the fire hazards can be when dealing with aluminum wiring. He uncovered a receptacle and a switch that had previously been “repaired” and found that the temperature inside the boxes had gotten hot enough to melt the connectors. The person doing the original repair obviously had no technical expertise, had used the wrong connectors and did not have the skill needed to properly make the connections. They left behind a serious fire hazard.
The good news is the people that just bought this home in Mississauga west end decided to put their safety first and have an electrical inspection performed. Based on the findings, they chose to make their electrical system safe. With the use of Alumiconn connectors, all the connections in their home will be guaranteed for a full ten years. Alumiconn systems are considered a permanent solution to repair aluminum wiring. This comes at a fraction of the cost of rewiring a home and will ensure that they sleep better knowing their electrical system is safe.
Good job Chadwick!