In Canada, 20 percent of fires are electrical fires. The reason for them is because of faulty wiring.
The headlines bring the potential for having an electrical fire to close to home…
Electricity is the most powerful force in your home. Sadly, many home-owners take it for granted. It’s important to watch for hidden warning signs in your home before it’s too late.
Watch for these Signs to Ensure the Electrical System is Safe in your Home and to Prevent Electrical Fires:
- Lights that flicker or are really dim
- Light bulbs that burn out more often than they should
- Fuses that constantly blow or breakers that trip often
- Outlets or Switches that are hot to the touch or don’t work
- A burning smell and you are not sure where it is coming from
- Aluminum or knob-and-tube wiring in your Home
- If there has been handy-man wiring work done in your home prior to you owning it.
These are all signs that something could be wrong with the electrical system in your home. It’s important to have these potential electrical hazards assessed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Recently, after completing a home inspection for one of our customers we found this illegal wiring in their dropped ceiling.
The wiring that we found had open junctions & was 15 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature. It could have caused an electrical fire.
The homeowner was unaware of the problem in their home and was extremely happy to have it repaired.
A licensed Electrical Contractor will make sure the electrical work is up to code. They will also take out all the proper electrical permits with The Electrical Safety Authority for any repair work that is required.