Do You Need The BEST In

Home Electrical Service?

Licenses and Insurance

Evaluating Electrical Licenses and Insurance

When looking for someone to provide any electrical work in your home in Ontario, always make sure they have the proper Licenses and Insurance.  The following are essential:


  1. Your electrical contractor must be licensed with the ESA and have an Electrical Contractor Registration Agency number. (ECRA #)
    The Shock Doctors ECRA/ESA number is 7001377
    To check if a contractor is licensed, go to ESA’s Licensed electrical contractor program search.
  2. Your electrical contractor’s electricians (employees) must have their Certificate of Qualification for Electrician: Construction and Maintenance.
    Your electrician should be able to show you his official Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities wallet card.
  3. Your electrical contractor’s electricians (employees) must be members of the College of Trades in good standing.
    Your electrician should be able to show you his College of Trades official wallet card.


  1. Your electrical contractor must have current WSIB coverage (workplace safety and insurance board)
  2. Your electrical contractor must have public liability and property damage insurance coverage of at least $2,000,000.
    The Shock Doctors is fully insured through The Co-operators General Insurance Company. This insurance is for your protection and provides $5,000,000 bodily injury and property damage. We are pleased to report we have never had a claim.

What is the Authorized Contractor Program (ACP) and an ACP Contractor?

The Authorized Contractor Program (ACP) is a program run by the Electrical Safety Authority . The ESA administers electrical regulations in Ontario.

The ACP program  recognizes licensed electrical contractors who consistently perform Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) compliant work by giving them the status of an “authorized contractor”. 


‘The Shock Doctors’ has been a member of the ACP since its inception — by consistently ensuring code-compliant  electrical work

What does that mean for the home owner?

The Shock Doctors are able to provide our clients with emergency services that non-ACP contractors are unable to provide. This means faster restoration of your power when you have an electrical emergency that disrupts the power to your home.


The Shock Doctors are a Registered Electrical Contractor and carry all the proper licenses and insurance to work in your home.

Registered Electrical Contractor #7001377

Anyone providing electrical work in your home must have a license like the one shown here. You should be aware that there are electricians in the home service business who do not have the proper licenses required to legally offer their services. If they do not have this license, the electrical work done in your home will be illegal and will compromise your insurance coverage.

Verify that the ECRA # given to you by your contractor matches the name of the company registered to that number by going to the link on the ESA website.

We remind you never to take out a permit for a contractor yourself. It is up to the contractor, not you, to make sure their work can pass inspection by the Electrical Safety Authority. If the permit is in your name, it is assumed you personally completed the work and the responsibility for the quality of the work falls on your shoulders .


Need Electrical Help?

Please select the Square and click the Submit button.

No Wiggle Room Guarantees - Orillia Electricians

Rave Reviews

" I was having a new furnace installed when an electrical issue arose.  Chadwick went out..."

- Jennifer Ruse, Orillia, ON, August 2016

View All

Licenses & Insurance

Click for the BBB Business Review of this Electricians in Orillia ON

We Accept

We Make Wiring Rewarding